Thursday, May 19, 2011

Should I Keep Doing Memes and Blog Hops? (Part 2)

So about a week ago, I asked you guys whether I should keep doing memes and blog hops here, and I asked you to vote on some polls. So let's have a look at the results!

- 67% of you like reading memes, 17% don't.

- Most of you want me to do two or three memes a week, only a few said none, one, four or five.

- Out of the memes I do, you guys like In My Mailbox the best (84%). Follow Friday and Book Blogger Hop aren't very popular (11%). Waiting on Wednesday and On My Wishlist are in the middle (WoW: 63% - OMW: 37%).

- 60% of you want me to post only 2-3 times a week with quality content, while 20% of you want me to post every day with filler posts such as memes.

- I also got some comments, and most of them said I shouldn't feel pressured to post every day, so I'm going to count those like votes towards only posting quality content. Two also said they like memes that bring attention to new books, so that's sort of like votes for WoW posts (and, to some extent, IMM and OMW).

Thanks for voting, everyone! I know some (okay, most) of the percentages don't really make sense, but that's because you could choose more than one answer and you could select "other" and write you own answers.

So what do I make of these results?

Two things, in my opinion, are obvious: I'm going to stop doing Follow Friday/Book Blogger Hop, and I'm going to keep doing In My Mailbox.

Whether or not I should keep doing Waiting on Wednesday and On My Wishlist, though, is more difficult. If I keep doing both of them, I'll have three memes a week, which I still think is too much. It'd be weird to do only of those memes, though - they're basically the same thing, just WoW is for not-yet-released books and the books I feature on OMW are already published.

What I don't like about those two memes is that they're so short - I just put the cover of a book, add the synopsis and links to the book on Amazon and Goodreads, write one or two sentences about it, and done. That's exactly the opposite of quality content, which most of you said you want.

My idea to solve that problem would be to stop doing the actual memes WoW and OMW, but to do similar posts featuring more books, just not as often. I'd make a feature about something between 5 and 10 books, one for books that have already been published and one for books that aren't released yet, and post them once or twice a month.

What do you think? Is that better than doing the actual memes?

If I decide to do those posts (which, at this point, I'm pretty sure I will, unless one of you guys has a good argument against it), I'd need names for those features. I've been thinking about names, but I can't really think of anything good. Right now I'm considering "Bookish Wishlist" and "Bookish Anticipation", but the second one sounds kind of stupid, in my opinion. Maybe I'll just use something like "Releases I'm Anticipating" and "Books I'm Wishing For"... What do you  think? Which names are better? Or if you can think of any better names, please leave a comment and let me know, too!

Thanks for helping me with this, guys!

2 comments:

  1. I kinda like bookish anticipation! I've become really disenchanted with memes. I hate the way my meme posts can get like 15-20 comments and tonnes of pageviews on average and my reviews, which actually take the most time and effort get 2-4 comments and not that many pageviews. I think it's such a shame that people focus on the memes which, whilst fun, aren't what bloggers are really dedicated too.

    I think the once or twice a month thing is a great idea, you can save em all up that way and it saves you alot of time. Plus then I can add all your recommendations to my GR list in one go :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Cait! The quantity of comments on memes can be great, but the quality is usually quite disappointing. Most of the comments are just advertisements to other people's blogs. It's obvious that most people who hop through memes don't really read the posts. I've pretty much decided to stop doing most of the memes that I was doing when I firsted started blogging. I think they've served their purpose- networking my blog. Hannah, I have also considered doing some feature posts similar to memes. My first feature post- "Hot Off the Presses"- will share new releases on the day they are released. I think you're on the right track!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment - I love to hear what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...